The Life-Science company INterface BIOmaterials B.V. is uniquely qualified to service the biomedical industry. The company focuses on the development, manufacture, and testing of bioactive polymers for medical applications.
The principals in INterface BIOmaterials B.V. are Drs. Aldenhoff and Koole. They have direct links to Maastricht University Medical Centre Plus (MUMC+) and introduce expertise of (i), blood-biomaterial interactions, (ii), hydrophilic, bioactive, and "green" surface coatings for medical devices, and (iii) use of smart biomaterials in strategies for controlled local drug delivery.
The activities of INterface BIOmaterials BV can be summarized as follows:
- Production of hydrophilic surface coatings for medical devices, particularly SlipSkin®.
- Production of fluorogenic and chromogenic substrates for the analysis of blood coagulation.
- Design and synthesis of novel radiopaque biomaterials in different forms, such as (i), cements (for applications in orthopedic surgery, spinal surgery and dental surgery) and (ii) microspheres (for applications in urology, cosmetic surgery, reconstructive surgery, and embolization); (iii), nanoparticles.
- Synthesis of polymeric biomaterials, cytotoxicity tests, assessment of biocompatibility using in vitro and in vivo models.
- Assessment of bloodcompatibility of biomaterials (e.g. surface-coated medical devices) using fresh human whole blood and state-of-the-art methods, such as thrombin generation (static and under flow conditions), analysis of interactions of biomaterial surface and blood-cells. Scanning electron microscopy, fluorescence microscopy, flow cytometry.
- Production of heparin-containing and heparin-releasing surface coatings for medical devices. Design, manufacture and testing. Consultancy.